Wednesday, June 3, 2009

William Blake's "The Lamb"

In this reading, I decided to try interpreting the text independent of outside sources. Thus, the interpretations may be quite far from what is intended. However, one of the most interesting things about artistic works is how it represents and portrays different meanings and ideas to different audiences. It is always interesting for me to see how the audience is affected by a piece of work, given no previous knowledge or background of the author or work. That's one of the beauties of some artistic pieces. Fortunately, I was able to gain some personal insights after reading "The Lamb" by William Blake.

In this text, I personally liked how the actual "illuminated painting" was provided for observation. It allowed me to not only read, but also see the visual message that Blake wanted the reader to see to accommodate his words.

Reading "The Lamb" makes me feel as if the main character (the child) exists in some sort of paradise. Not necessarily heaven, but rather somewhere peaceful and serene. The questioning of the child towards the lambs and his "natural nakedness" is Blake's illustration of the "innocence" theme. The simplicity of the verses and their echoing repetition and rhymes gives me an impression of a song or possibly a lullaby that one would sing a child to sleep. I also notice how the scenery gives a natural absence of darkness to gear the setting more towards something more pleasurable to experience. Words such as "stream," "mead," "delight," and "bright" all amplify the light and positive aura of the setting.

When I read the first half of this poem, I get the feeling that Blake may be reminiscing about a mother-like figure. This figure seems to be someone who has cared for him and nurtured him with the pleasant and warm atmosphere required for survival and healing, which also includes the food ("feed") and clothing ("softest clothing"), the sunshine, earth, and water (mother nature). Reading this makes me feel thankful for my mother and the one I love dearest to me, who is always gentle and patient with all my impurities. It also reminds me that nature is a great cleanser of these impurities, a place for reflection, thought, and improvement. I somehow feel that Blake acknowledge his state of mental and spiritual health to the "Lamb" character in his poem. I think that for everyone, this character may exists for them as someone or something different (assuming they don't read the next half of the verses, since the character is then revealed).

The first half of the verses are a stream of questions, while the second, contrastingly, is a stream of answers by the child who represents Blake himself. An important observation is how in the first half of the poem, the symbolism of innocence, which was originally represented by the child (who questions the lambs and ponders who created them), is now transferred to the lambs. Although the lamb is ignorant, it still has an intrinsic sense and understanding of what is pleasurable and delight. I get the impression that to Blake, it is not the place that defines heaven, but rather these feelings itself, the mental state.

As we move on to the second half of the verses, Christ is revealed as Blake references his alias as the "Lamb." Of particular importance is the gradual connection between the child and the image of Christ as he "became a child... I am a child." Blake wants to tell the audience that the same positive qualities in Christ is naturally in us (the child and the lambs) since we was nurtured by him. This is apparent as he gives Christ, the Lambs, and himself (the child) the same name. Like Christ we also have a "meek & mild" side. Like him, we are all blessed.

I also noticed something interesting, although subtle. I feel like there is a sense of equality among the child and the Lamb, and thus implicitly between us (humans) and Him (Christ/God). Blake's "The Lamb" verses 14-19 illustrates this concept:
For he calls himself a Lamb:
He is meek & he is mild,
He became a little child:
I a child & thou a lamb,
We are called by his name.

Here, I believe the "name" of "Lamb" represents the intrinsic good qualities that exists in everything as oppose to the literal meaning of the word. How can the lamb and the child be called by the same name unless we are of equal value or quality. Notice that we have transitioned from "he call[ing] himself a Lamb" to "We are called by his name. At some point in time, we can possibly attain a state at which we are like the "Lamb" and become worthy enough to be entitled the same name as the "Lamb." Is it not the bible that stated that man was created in God's image? In Blake's portrayal, I believe it is the mental image of Christ that he sees in us that defines who we are in terms of heaven or hell.

Analyzing the poem without the help of external sources was an interesting experience for me. Although the interpretations may sometimes be far-fetched or even wrong, It allowed me to stretch my imagination and think "outside of the box" to come up with different meanings of the text that may never have been thought of. Although analyzing the text this way may delineate me from understanding the author and his intended message, I feel that I begin to understand myself better as these ideas and realizations came about from within myself and are unique from any other interpretation.

1 comment:

  1. Van,

    I am glad to see you trying to go on your own here, and analyzing Blake's poem without reference to outside sources. Very good depth in your focus and explication of "The Lamb," and some insightful comments. I would caution you a bit, though, about speculating from the content in the poem to the life of the author--Blake (and most of the Romantics) tend to speak through the mediating distance of characters, even when they seem to be recounting actual experiences or sincere opinions. If you had looked at "The Tyger" in conjunction with this poem, you would have seen a very different view of God, Nature and the personality and thoughts of the speaker. Blake created both poems, so it is hard to say one is more his real views than the other.

    ReplyDelete